Monday, January 3, 2022

Mannam as an egalitarian and universal citizen

 


Mannath Padmanabhan, the founder of Nair Service Society was not just a caste leader as his name itself indicates. At an age when Nairs used surnames, Mannath Padmanabhan Pillai removed the surname from his name and became a total Hindu, thereby underscoring the idea of casteless Hindu society and the ultimate goal of universal brotherhood. As charity begins from home, Mannam began his work among his own community members; Nairs. But, he was never parochial or casteist. It would be appropriate to remember two incidents which testify his stature as a Sanatan Hindu on the occasion of birth anniversary of Mannath Padmanabhan which falls on Janurary 2.


Once while Mannam was staying at Pandalam, a youth came to see him. The youth was led to Mannath Appoppn (Grandpa Mannam) as he was fondly addressed. After exchanging pleasantries, Mannam asked the youth about his family. The youth said he belonged to Ezhava community and came from a poor background. Mannam then asked about the purpose of his visit. The youth, who was a Congress leader, said he wanted an admission to pre-university at Pandalam NSS College, but didn’t have enough marks to get admission on merit. He requested Mannam to give an admission in his personal quota. Mannam, though for a while, called an attendant and asked him to ensure that the youth got admission .


Some local NSS leaders were annoyed at the act of Mannam giving admission to a youth of another caste in Nair community quota. Mannam told them his logic. He said, that the youth was honest brave and has leadership qualities. He told me the truth and made a request. What is wrong in that? asked Mannam. He continued, “I am sure, he will go places in his political life. If we deny him a seat, he will approach some Christian management and they will readily grant him his wish. So isn't it better that we help him. He will be indebted to us, and in future he would remember us.”


Later, things turned out to be in the way Mannam predicted. The youth went on to become the finance minister off Kerala and was a powerful leader during his times. Whenever, he won he used to visit Mannam Samadhi and pay floral tributes.


One of my teachers, who is also from Ezhava community once told me about a gesture of Mannam which touched him greatly. My teacher was from a rich aristocratic Ezhava family from central Travancore. While he was studying for BSc in S.B College, Changanassery he went to see Mannam.


It was out of sheer curiosity that I went to see him. I was a communist and never had any love lost for Mannam, who was against Communists then. There were many who were waiting to see Mannam, when I reached the house in Changanassery where he was staying. When my turn came, I was led to Mannam. He looked at me probingly and asked about my family. When I told him my family details, his face lighted up and there was a special warmth. He embraced me and told me that my maternal uncle was his great friend. Then, he enquired about my studies.


I told him that I was studying at S.B College. Suddenly, he was angry. Why did you join SB college when our college (NSS Hindu College, Changanassery) was here? Why didn’t you approach me? Then he calmed down, and asked me to complete the degree and join NSS college for the post graduation. I was overwhelmed at his love. Then I realised why Mannam was called Grandpa by everyone, said my teacher.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Is Alliance With AAP Suicidal For Congress? #congress, #kejriwal, #aap

I t was the India against Corruption movement and its by product Aam Admi Party (AAP) which transformed the political climate in India in 20...